Image Map

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Math Music

My school uses Saxon Math and a large component is the morning math meeting. I'm all for math meetings (I had a really cute one when I taught K) but the saxon math meeting is really dry. So I've been looking around for ideas to make math more engaging. 

I am excited to say that I have found math music that is SUPER engaging. Introducing...


FLOCABULARY

Flocabulary raps are legit in several ways. First, the performer is an actual rapper, not some lame old man. Second, students are working on math skills in a way that is excellent for auditory and kinesthetic  learners (there are movements with many of the songs).  I feel a lot of  kids would connect to the style of these songs, but my students in particular, who are students of color and live in poverty, absolutely LOVE them.

You can buy the CDs or subscribe to the website that has music videos. Since I use my projector with my computer during math, I chose the subscription route. Check out Flocabulary's Website to see how it works in your classroom! There is a free trial for the subscription, which is how I got hooked. They also have raps for language arts, science, math, social studies, and current events. 

Hooray for a fun math routine!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...