Image Map

Monday, March 11, 2013

Teaching Adverbs

This past week we've started to dive into adverbs, a fairly tricky concept for my EL students. When I first introduced the concept in the fall, I realized that most of my students don't use them correctly in spoken language ("I walked to the store quick") and I decided to revisit at a later date.

 Now that it is Spring, I found a word sort strategy that has helped introduce the various uses of adverbs. Students sort words according to what the modify in a sentence: "How" adverbs, "Where" adverbs, and "When" adverbs. Once we have sorted the words, I asked students to come up with their own examples of the different types of adverbs.


"Where" adverbs were the most difficult because the kids got too specific and started naming nouns, but once I gave them a few more examples, they got the hang of it.

Anyone else have some strategies they use to teach adverbs?

1 comment:

  1. Adverbs are so tricky! Your stations you posted for St. Patrick's day with the adverb book look fabulous! I have a book of Grammar songs. I have used it A LOT this year to help teach all kinds of things, adverbs included. I love hearing my kids singing to help them remember.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to come by yours. I can't wait to hear more about what happens in your classroom. Enjoy your track out. One day someone will explain how that all works to me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...