Image Map

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Writing Conference Strategy

Recently we've been working on non-fiction writing in my classroom. (More to come on that). During my last few writing projects, students waited in line to have a conference with me at my desk. This caused a lot of behavioral issues. Kids were getting restless and loud, causing students who were still working to be distracted.

I came up with an easy idea to keep track of who I need to conference with. When students are done with a draft, they write their name up on the board, then go back to their desk, wait for me, and do a quiet "may do." I walk around to the students who signed up for "appointments" on the board. When I finish with one student I check off their name and go to the next student. This is a much quieter way than I had before, students always have a task to do, and it allows the slower workers to focus on their writing.


Do you have a strategy you use during writing that you would like to share?

2 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! I am always overwhelmed by all my students wanting to meet with me at the same time... this is a great way to organize the conference time and a great visual for students to see when their turn is coming up. What do you have them do while they are waiting for a conference? Do you have a list of things they can pick from or is their an assigned thing they should be doing?
    What a great idea... I will be starting this in my class this week!!! Thanks!

    Bri
    The Price of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bri! Let me know how it goes! I usually have kids do their "may dos" at this point. Either read their library book, sight word word searches, cross word puzzles. Anything that is fun, engaging, and literacy based.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...